Sunday, April 10, 2011

Scrapbooking My Heritage


I really should be cleaning. That being said--I have been doing some more scrapbooking today. I got another kit or two that I have been working on. Some I will share later as they aren't quite ready for prime time but will be in the next week or so. I have been eying one of the kits for a few weeks now. It is a Mercantile kit designed by Polka Dot Pixels and it is absolutely perfect for this picture of my grandfather and great grandfather from 100 years ago. So I decided to redo the original one.

Henry Dodsworth opened a grocery store in the 1880's in Elroy, Wisconsin. I have seen internet posts from Juneau County that state "H.C. Dodsworth-Grocer and Bakery". At some point his brother-in-law, John Britt, must have become a partner in the business because I have also seen an advertisement from 1906 that calls the business--Dodsworth and Britt-Leading Grocers. My grandpa, Lee, followed his father's footsteps and also went into the grocery business running A and P stores in Kenosha and Tomah, Wisconsin.

This photo was given to me about 10 years ago by my father. It stirred all sorts of feelings in me and made me want to look into my family history more. It was a huge undertaking--trying to learn more about my family and then creating both paper and later digital scrapbooks from the pictures I was able to find and the stories that I learned. But I am so proud of what I have accomplished in finding out and only wish that I could learn more real stories about the family instead of dates of birth, death and marriage which is all I could find out about for many of my ancestors. I am so happy to have this wonderful picture that started me on that journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment