Monday, May 18, 2015

Mother's Day--I Live for Moments Like This


It was a different kind of Mother's Day this year but oh so wonderful.  This is my first Mother's Day without a mother or mother-in-law to honor.  My mom died 28 year years ago so that has been a long time.  But I always had Beverly and June around up until this year.  What made it so wonderful was being able to spend the weekend with Christopher though.  Fortunately the weather cooperated so that we could fly up to Bellingham and spend some time with him.

The weather wasn't so wonderful that it was a great to take pictures but I did take a few.  Flying over Puget Sound and the San Juan Islands is my favorite flying route.  There is nothing like flying over the water and all the great islands, seeing the Olympic Mountains and four of the Cascade volcanoes all at the same time.  It is absolutely beautiful!

 Mount Baker
San Juan Islands

Once we got to Bellingham, we took Chris to enjoy lunch at Boundary Bay and of course, the guys enjoyed a bit of beer there.  Chris had recently signed a new lease for the apartment he will be living in next year.  So we had him take us to see where it is.  Happy to see that it will be an improved situation from where he is living this year.  

I went Whatcom Falls Park last year on my own while waiting for Chris to finish his finals and pack up his dorm room but Bill had never been there and despite having been to the park, Chris had never seen the waterfalls.  So we spent some time wandering around the park a bit and took some photos by the falls.  Beautiful spot to take mother-son pictures.

We had never been in Bellingham long enough to explore a whole lot but we found ourselves with more time so we went to see the Spark Museum--a museum all about electricity, radios, televisions, etc.  It had quite a collection of electricity machines and old radios and other electronics.  While we were at the Spark Museum, we came across Bayou by the Bay restaurant.  Chris was excited about having some Creole food so we decided we would go back for dinner.  Chris had an alligator po-boy, I had a pork po-boy and Bill had some blackened catfish.  Enjoyed our New Orleans fix in Bellingham.

Chris had plans with friends that night so we parted ways until the morning to go to the Larkspur Cafe as we usually do for breakfast.  They have a Nova Scotia Eggs Benedict that Bill loves, loves, loves.  So we always go there for breakfast.  So got to have a lovely Mother's Day breakfast before heading back to the airport to fly home.

Just as we landed at Pearson--I got a call on my cell phone from a strange number in Florida.  I almost didn't answer it thinking it was a wrong number or solicitation.  I am so glad I answered.  It was Tom calling from Qatar to wish me a Happy Mother's Day.  So good to hear his voice.  And perfect timing.

And so that was my Mother's Day weekend.  I got to fly over my favorite flying route with my sweetheart, spend the weekend with one of my sons, and talk on the phone to the other.  The only thing that would have made it more perfect was if Tom could have been here too.  But all and all--it was the best weekend I could have asked for.





No comments:

Post a Comment