Monday, April 3, 2017

California Vacation

Bill wanted to go to a conference in San Jose so he invited me to go along with him so I could enjoy some California weather and visit Chuck and Suzanne.  Other than a really crappy 24 hour layover in San Francisco a couple of years ago, I don't think I have been to visit Chuck and Suzanne in the Bay Area for at least 15 years.  Chuck always came up here to see Beverly and us so there wasn't really ever a need to go down there.


I didn't really have any big agenda for my trip but made some tentative plans for places that I wanted to visit and photograph.  Going to see Mission San Jose in Fremont was one of them.  I was surprised that the original chapel had been destroyed in an earthquake and that this one had been reconstructed in the 1980's.


There was a museum in some of the old adobe buildings near the chapel, a cemetery where people are still buried in even today and a pleasant courtyard.  I was expecting to see a lot of Spanish names in the cemetery but was surprised to see how many Irish immigrants were buried there.


The next day I dropped Bill off at the conference and headed down to spend the day in Santa Cruz.  It was a beautiful day so it was quite enjoyable.


I enjoyed seeing the lighthouses, watching the surfers and looking at the beautiful coastline there.


I did a lot of walking and ended up having lunch at Woody's on the old historic wharf before I headed back to San Jose.

The rest of the weekend was spent having lunch in Palo Alto with Maddy's Aunt Maia and spending time with Chuck and Suzanne going to a German restaurant in Alameda and wine tasting and having lunch at a Greek restaurant in Livermore.  Murrieta's Well was a really pleasant winery to just sit on the patio and enjoy the wines.


I've started a new journaling album concept this year.  So this is some of what I journaled about my time in California including some photos from our wine tasting and lunch excursion into Livermore.


We had a great view of Crater Lake on the way home so I was able to take a photo of that.

We had a great little getaway.  We were happy to get home but not necessarily to go back to work today.  Anxious to go on our next adventure now.

No comments:

Post a Comment