Friday, October 22, 2010

Homecoming

Tonight was the last home game of the season so it was senior night and it was also homecoming. I have sort of dreaded this night. This is the last game that I have a good excuse to go to. It is the last time that I have a son playing football or playing in the band. So it was a little bit sad for me. I have been attending middle school and high school football games for the past nine years. When Tom was playing football, I would attend as many as two games a week the whole season long. The last four years it has been just varsity home games but I always look forward to them. I love watching football and seeing all the energy put out by the team, the cheerleaders, the band and the students. I love the cheering and the music. Chris has always grumbled that he had to play in the band at football games because he doesn't like football. But I love going. I might go again. I'm not ruling it out. It is just pretty unlikely as it wouldn't be any fun going by myself. With Tom gone now, I don't have a buddy who likes football to go with.

With it being the last game of the season, they had the usual senior parent recognition for the football team and the cheerleaders. I was surprised to see a friend of Tom's on the field with his parents and his brother who was a senior player this year. He goes to American University in Washington, D.C. but he must have thought it was important enough to fly home to see his brother play in his last Thunder football game.

None of my pictures turned out but the tradition of all the schools around this area is to have the homecoming court brought in front of the stands in Corvettes and this year was no different. Three of the boys and at least one of the girls were in band. One of the band members was crowned king.

The game itself was a blowout. Mountain View beat Hudson's Bay 58-0. I felt so badly for the other team. How do you keep playing when you are getting hammered like that?

So it was a good night. The band was featured on Fox12 Friday Night Lights as the Band of the Week. Chris shows up in the video twice--once in the first few seconds and once in a closeup about midway through. Before you even start the video, he is in the middle of the screen just above the play arrow. Exciting to be able to see him on TV. Here is the link to the video. Mountain View High School Band of the Week.

No comments:

Post a Comment